Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Analyzing Student Data in a Spreadsheet.

The spreadsheet below shows test scores of all 26 students. Test scores, 1-10, are posted for each student. Then, each student's scores for tests 6-10 are averaged and show the standard deviation. The class average for tests 6-10 is shown and this is where we find that 12 students fell below the class average of 191.7.



This spreadsheet reflects the scores of the 12 students who fell below the class test average.



The chart below is a graphic depiction of the 12 students who averaged below the 191.7 class average on tests 6-10. You can see that some students,like Katharine, started off slowly and then grew in leaps and bounds. Other students gradually improved over time at a more even rate. All students showed a steady overall growth.



Here is a link to follow if you would like to see both spreadsheets and the chart:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AoHf58rBn4-vdG9jUF9OS1NTZ2ZyQlp1c0piYkI2M0E&hl=en

My rate of technology aptitude showed an overall steady rate of growth throughout this assignment; although, if I charted it, you would see highs and lows resembling the Cascade Mountain Range. Unfortunately, I had absolutley no experience with Excel spreadsheets or Google Doc. spreadsheets before attempting this Ed Tech assignment. Fortunately, I could watch Barry's tutorial over and over and over and..again which helped tremedously, Laura gave us some pointers and Desiree spent hours helping me get it all put together. I can see that knowing how to use spreadsheets will be absolutely necessary when I'm teaching and so I'm glad to have gotten the experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment